Hi. If you’re curious about me, please scroll past the really big photo of me…
My name is Martin Tepper, and I’m a Software Developer living in Berlin, Germany.
Currently I’m on a sabbatical, trying to recharge my batteries and trying out new things, like practicing my writing here.
But what I do best is web-based software development.
|2012-2019||CTO for www.hotel-mssngr.com|
|Tech||Ruby on Rails, Sinatra (for the API), jQuery (mobile, the framework), Ansible, and all the other full-stack ingredients of a “classic” write-heavy MVC CMS with a read-heavy API and lots of in-house clients and a vast array of features|
|Responsibilities||Lots: Coding, Architecture, Team Lead, Project Management, Mentoring, Task estimation, Deployments, Infrastructure, Provisioning, Tooling, Documentation, Backups, Monitoring, Analytics, Scaling, Dependency Management, External provider liasion.|
|Remarks||This is where I “leveled up” multiple times in a lot of areas and came to own a complete system inside and out. Thanks for the opportunity, guys!|
|2012-2011||Developer for “Hitfox” game shopping platform (which pivoted away from that and became an incubator later)|
|Tech||Ruby on Rails, “Spree” Shopping framework|
|Responsibilities||Mostly coding various extensions to and working around the Spree framework, “normal” Rails backend-frontend development|
|Remarks||My first time in a high-powered VC-backed startup. Intense.|
|2011-2007||Lead developer at Travel IQ (now sadly defunct)|
|Tech||Ruby on Rails, homebrewed “Parser” framework in Ruby|
|Responsibilities||Developed dozens of “Parsers” (i.e. API clients and web scrapers) to aggregate travel data. Some architecture work, and lead for a team of students also working on the parsers.|
|Remarks||My first job out of university. I was such a greenhorn 🙂|
- Diploma in Media Technology from the University of Applied Sciences in Emden
- Native German, fluent English
Unfortunately, most of my professional work is owned by someone else, lost in time, or thoroughly obsolete. I never had much time to engage much in FOSS development. What I did do publicly can be seen on Github:
I’m a little proud of this little library: https://github.com/Promptus/masterplan
I was also occasionally trying to be helpful on Stack Overflow: https://stackoverflow.com/users/249760/m-g-palmer
- I consider the actual code itself (while often fun to write) a means to an end, and prefer to first look for other ways to solve problems, or to use something off-the-shelf. While I’ve worked mostly with Ruby (I just love the language) and Rails, I always try to find the best tool for the job (and budget, team, time constraints, etc…)
- I like to keep a steady pace and work in a structured and organized way. What I build usually works well and keeps working, though it might seem slower to come to fruition.
- I like to think I’m not only a developer but a problem solver, and can work independently and thoughtfully as long as I’m familiar enough with the (business) context.
- Sometimes I get stuck on a particular solution or approach to a problem, often because I found a clever way to do something. And even though I usually have a gut feeling that something simpler would be better, it often takes someone else to argue me around. It really helps being in a team.
- Related to that, I appreciate a culture of open discussion and idea-sharing – but in a friendly and relaxed way. I find it hard to stand by my opinions when arguments get heated and personal…I need to work on that.
- Also, a calm work environment is key to productivity and happiness – I can’t function for long with constant interruption.
Hobbies and such
- I do appreciate writing – I’m an avid reader and now trying to improve my own writing.
- I’ve been playing the guitar for a long time – if you’re brave, check out some stuff some pals and me recorded when we were in school: https://soundcloud.com/mgpalmer Working on some new things now 🙂
- I like to ride my bicycle everywhere in Berlin and my motorcycle everywhere else. Don’t like cars much. Hate flying.
- For some years, I’ve been a hobby blacksmith, making household things out of steel with a friend (who’s been teaching me and also has the actual smithy…my apartment neighbors probably won’t appreciate me setting up a forge on my balcony) who’s a metal-sculpting artist and all-around good people, check out his work: http://werners-esse.de
- Apart from that, I enjoy swimming, /computer|board|card/ games, cooking and/or eating a good meal, and a beer or two